Here are Gentlethanksgiving.org's top ten reasons to forgo the carcass at your celebration:
10. Your body will appreciate a holiday from saturated fat, cholesterol, and hormones.For a vegan Thanksgiving, try a Tofurky centerpiece with some of the following sides:
9. You won’t sweat the environment and food resources devastation guilt trip.
8. You won’t spend a sleepless night wondering how the turkey lived and died.
7. Animal advocates will cherish you.
6. You won’t have to call the Poultry Hotline to keep your family alive.
5. Fruits and vegetables don’t have to carry government warning labels.
4. Commercial turkeys are too obese to breed. Won’t happen to you.
3. Your kids can tell their friends about their cool “tofurky.”
2. You are what you eat. Who wants to be a “butterball”?
1. You won’t fall asleep during the football game.
- cranberry sauce (some are gelatin free)
- mashed potatoes with roasted garlic
- steamed green beans
- maple-glazed carrots
- mashed sweet potatoes
- roasted potatoes
- pasta salad
- vegetable soup
- butternut or acorn squash
- fruit salad
- pumpkin pie
- chocolate cake
- spice cake
- bread pudding
- pound cake
- just about any other baked good
As you can see, ditching turkey and other animal products does not limit your options in any way, and there are plenty of delicious dishes to choose from!
So, please choose a compassionate Thanksgiving that leaves murder and cruelty out of the celebration. Your conscience and millions of turkeys will thank you.