As the hotly contested election draws nearer, I am going to shed some light on America's favorite "pit bull with lipstick." We all have probably heard that she is a big hunter and wants to drill the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge for oil (which McCain actually opposes), but here is some more juicy, or shall we say, "bloody" information on Sarah Palin.
- Palin supports "aerial hunting", where low flying planes shoot animals with no chance of escape.
- She encouraged this monstrosity with a proposed bounty of $150 for each severed wolf foreleg, and also introduced legislature to make this hunting easier.
- She promotes wolf hunting because wolves hunt caribou and moose, and those are the two favorite targets of Alaskan hunters. So by killing wolves, there would be more moose and caribou to kill.
- Alaska is the ONLY state to allow aerial hunting of wolves.
- She authorized $400,000 of Alaska funds to oppose a ballot initiative to end aerial hunting.
See this video, which was not produced by the Obama campaign, on what happens in aerial hunts (I cried). Thanks to vegan.com for posting this:
- Alaska sued the federal government to keep polar bears off the endangered species list. Why? Because the bears were in the way of oil drilling!
- She is a lifelong hunter and NRA member.
- She owns a commercial fishing business with her husband.
- She had no qualms about authorizing the killing of mother and cub bears in Alaska.
- Her husband's favorite sport is dog sled racing, and she is a promoter the Iditarod race.
- She has publicly declared global warming a "farce" that wasn't created by humans, and it is in Alaska where most of our country's animals will be paying the price for the climate change.
I know animals aren't everything in politics, but if this is who John McCain is picking as a vice-president, I have serious questions about his judgment. Do we want a cold-hearted savage in the White House?
And in case you're wondering about the other side, Biden has an excellent animal-rights record, and so does Obama. He has been endorsed by the Humane Society. Read this short article about Obama supporting animal rights.