Saturday, December 23, 2006

"Chicken" or "Steak" Fajitas

I hope I spelled the title right *blush*...

I made these last night, they turned out really well. I made this recipe all by myself, so if you're going to pass it on please give me credit :)
I used the steak version, but I think it would taste best with the "chicken" (however, the steak strips taste better than the chicken strips, so go figure...)
I used ingredients that I had lying around the house (this one of my "clean out the pantry" recipes), so feel free to substitute.

Ingredients:
1 bag of Morningstar Farms "steak" or "chicken" strips
1/4 cup of medium salsa
1 large yellow onion, diced
1 large green bell pepper, diced
Canola Oil (for sauteing)
1/3 cup of hot (not boiling!) water
1/2 Tablespoon of brown miso (optional)
1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
3 Tablespoons of Southwestern Hickory Hot Sauce (any medium/mild hot sauce with hickory smoke will work. If hickory is unavailable, use something rich and flavorful)
Small Tortillas (a whole pack should do, the amount varies for how much you stuff them)
Soy Sour Cream and Guacamole (optional)

1) Saute bell pepper and onion in canola oil in a large skillet. In another pan, cook "meat" strips according to package directions.
2) Meanwhile, disolve miso in hot water.
3) When "meat" is done, add to the veggie pan once the onions are translucent. Add salsa, hot sauce, and red pepper flakes. Put on "low" and let simmer til most of the water is gone. (This helps the "meat" to absorb the flavors.)
4) Remove from heat. Let cool, and scoop onto tortillas and roll. Serve with guacamole and soy sour cream if desired.



The miso gives the fajitas a salty, wholesome taste without tasting like cheap Chinese food. If you dont use miso, make sure to add salt. I also suggest drinking soymilk with these as they can be quite spicy.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Google Search!