Sunday, February 25, 2007

MLAAV Featured in 7 Days!

This past week, this blog was featured in an article in the weekly Vermont newspaper 7 Days. They just wrote the article (my grandfather thankfully reads the paper and called me to tell me), so some of it is a little off. Anyways, here is the article, titles Virtual Vegan.

A Vermont teen's take on dining integrity
by Suzanne Podhaizer (02/21/07).

Most 14-year-olds are more concerned with
entertainment options than the ethics of eating. But Allie, a young technophile
who "lives in the middle of nowhere a.k.a. Vermont" isn't your typical teen. For
over a year, she's been keeping a blog called "My Life as a Vegan," on which she
chronicles her favorite meatless eats and provides tips for living la vida
vegan.

Allie's posts run the gamut from a recipe for meat-free fajitas and vegan
latkes to pitches for foods she enjoys. Although many of her favored products
are processed foods from afar, like Boca Burgers and Tofutti Cuties, she has a
few local loves as well. On February 4, Allie wrote glowingly about Bove's
marinara sauce, ". . . . I'd like to inform you all of a great marinara sauce .
. . it's amazing." Her list of acceptable fast-food options gives a nod to
Burlington's biggest bagel business — Bruegger's made the cut with a handful of
vegan bagels and a few soups, too.

Although she uses casual phraseology, occasionally referring to the "dead animal aftertaste" that accompanies meat eating, Allie can be eloquent. One of her earliest posts, about how to ensure that restaurant food is vegan, states, "most waitstaff will be accommodating as long as you're polite . . . you have to understand that taking a lot of questions can be annoying." Pretty perspicacious for one so young.

Check out Allie's blog at aveganlife.blogspot.com.

To see the article online click here.


While I love the article (and the publicity!), I would like to point out that I am actually against processed foods, I view them as a rare treat (I only seem to obsess about them at times because they are hard to find in Vermont.) I try to keep my recipes as natural as possible, almost all ingredients I use in my own home are organic.

Other than that it's great! I'll be calling them shortly thanking them for the article, I never expected it at all, and it's from one of my favorite papers.

Other Publications:
BlogCritics.org Friday Femme Fatales No. 45

3 comments:

Twisted Cinderella said...

how cool! Congrats on the article.

Jackie said...

Wonderful that you were mentioned in an article and hopefully it will generate some traffic as the more people who hear that we don't starve as vegans the better :)

vko said...

Congratulations! That is truly wonderful that your conscientiousness is recognized.

Google Search!