Sunday, January 27, 2008

Guacamole

A couple days ago I made some guacamole. It was soooo good and I ended up eating it with a spoon instead of chips.

Ingredients:
2 ripe avocados (with skin off and without pits)
1/2 medium onion, diced
2 medium jalapenos (or a handful of slices from a jar), diced
2 TBS lime juice (you can use less, I like a lot of lime!)
2TBS jalapeno hot sauce (optional, since fresh/jarred can be expensive if you use a lot)
Dash of salt (if not using hot sauce)

1. Put the avocados in a bowl and mash well with a fork. I prefer to use a fork instead of an electric mixer because I like some small pieces of avocado and it makes it heavier.
2. Add the onion, jalapenos, lime juice, and hot sauce/salt, mix in with the fork.

If you want, you can add chili powder, diced green chilies, diced tomato, and other things. You can also make this without any hot peppers at all. There are many different variations! You also could substitute lemon juice for lime, or leave it out. I've made this so many ways and its always good!! ♥

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I've never tried it with Japelenos. We can't find them very often in France. Only in glass jars. I don't know if these ones are as tastly as fresh ones.

Rose said...

I love avacados and my favorite way to enjoy them is by making guacamole! Unfortunately I don't eat a lot of spicy foods if at all, so I guess I could just leave them out when I make this.

Gnewvegan said...

that is the great thing about guacamole. There are many variations to satisfy a variety of taste buds.. :)

Gnewvegan
http://www.invitationfrom-gnewvegan.blogspot.com/

V said...

I've been wanting to try something like this. I heard someone say it was great on pita bread. Here's what I want to know...

Do you start off with refrigerated avocados, or should they be at room temperature? I don't have any experience with avocados... usually get guacamole in a jar.

Anonymous said...

Fresh guacamole is incredible. I'll have to copy down your recipe - it's easy and flexible. :-)

Anonymous said...

I wish vegans would quit calling food that is vegan already "vegan".

Miss M. Possible said...

I know this comment is late, but anonymous may not realize that a lot of places use sour cream in their guacamole. All of the premade guacamole at WalMart and other stores contains dairy, and sometimes even EGG! The local authentic Mexican resteraunts in my area also add cream.

So there!

Google Search!