This is one of my own original I-made-it-up recipes. Its kind of adapted from something my mom makes with meat and I'm sure other people have done the same thing or similar, but anyways I'm taking credit for it lol. The tofu in this is Creative Chef Tofettes, which are easy to use, have a good texture and are very tasty. I found them in the produce section of Big Y.
Crappy picture taken with crappy cellphone camera but it was actually a lot prettier and tasted great (and thats considering I'm not a huge tofu fan)
1 package of Creative Chef Tofettes Lemon Garlic Flavor, sliced in half or quarters
1 box of pasta (rotini and penne work well, I used penne)
1/2 cup vegan margarine
1 to 2 cups sliced mushrooms (white or 'bella, or both!)
2 cloves garlic, diced
1 small onion, diced (or half a medium/large onion)
2 TBS lemon juice (or more to taste)
Salt, dash (to taste)
1. Cook pasta as instructions indicate (do the rest of the recipe while the pasta is cooking!)
2. Melt the margarine in a hot skillet (make sure its large enough for the mushrooms and tofettes!)
3. Add the onions and garlic, sautee for 3 mins until onions start to turn translucent.
4. Add the mushrooms and lemon juice and sautee for 7-10 mins, add salt if you want.
5. Add tofettes and sautee until they are hot.
6. In a large bowl, mix drained pasta with the sauteed mushroom mixture!
- One thing I noticed is if you use a non-stick pan and let the mushrooms sit without stirring them often or flipping them, they get a little "burned" and taste as though they were grilled!
- Also, if you run out of butter in the pan before its time to put it on the pasta, you can add more but dont forget to add more lemon juice too!