Tuesday, January 05, 2010

Post Holiday Post (Get it?)

I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday, I know I sure did! (minus writing a 30-page paper on Joseph Heller's Picture This)

Since Christmas dinner was not at my house (and I didn't find out in enough time to make something), I was afraid that I'd have nothing to eat. Boy was I wrong! My family is Italian so we have pasta for Christmas instead of a giant slab of carcass. While everyone else had cheese and meet ravioli, I had three plates of spaghetti with homemade red mushroom sauce. There was also plenty of fruit, salad, and guacamole & chips. Instead of eating the regular dessert, I ate the vegan candies left over from the gingerbread houses (I still have some leftover LifeSavers in my purse)

I also got some pretty cool vegan gifts that I'd like to share :)
  • TONS of Swedish Fish. One of the few gummy foods that are vegan! Also, they are made with mostly real sugar, and no high-fructose corn syrup!
  • Hot Wasabi Coated Green Peas. One of my favorite snacks because they're hot, spicy, and crunchy. Plus you can't eat too many of them before your nose starts to burn up.
  • Pinapple dark chocolate bar. Can't recall the name because it's loooooong gone now, but it was vegan and tasty. My big problem with vegan dark chocolates is that they aren't smooth enough, but this one was very creamy and not too bitter!
  • Are you hungry yet? Well this one isn't food. With my Christmas money I ended up buying myself a lovely acrylic & nylon grey/black striped sweater from Target. It was on clearance for $12 and it feels softer than any wool or cashmere sweater I've felt. Best part is that since its not wool, I don't have to wash it by hand or line dry it. Can you say, "That was easy!"?
So, I want to hear from you! What did you eat for your holiday dinner? Also, did you receive any vegan/animal friendly gifts? Leave a comment so we all can be jealous :)

3 comments:

K. said...

Just found your blog! I went vegan on January 1st :)

Plenty of vegan chocolate bars in my stocking! Also a bottle of garlicky herb oil marinade meant for fish, but tastes great with tofu marinated in it overnight. Mmm.

Ian said...

swedish fish do have corn syrup and contain white mineral oil which is a petroleum (oil) byproduct

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swedish_Fish

Just go for taffy, or better yet make yourself a vegan "twinkie"!

http://shmooedfood.blogspot.com/2006/01/vegan-twinkies.html

Allie B said...

Yes, Swedish Fish contain regular corn syrup, but they do not contain the High-Fructose variety, which is the worst of all.

And most vegans do not consider petroleum products to be animal products, taken that they have been decomposing for millions of years and could also be from plant material. PETA and other vegan groups assert that Swedish Fish are safe for vegheads.

Google Search!